Monday, February 18, 2013

About Us

Andy noted that we should probably mention who we are. This seemed like a legitimate idea to me. And so this post was borne into the world. Through many minutes of typing and much more editing.

Andy and I are two girls who currently live in Oklahoma. Andy grew up in a very small town in Oklahoma that is best not to mention. It's big ticket attractions are things like: Big Foot BBQ Shop (in the next town over), a Civil War Encampment (Not even a battle ground, they just had a slumber party -Andy). All kidding aside, it was a very small town where the most adorable person in the history of the world was born and later kidnapped and sequestered by yours truly.

Andy went on to study Psychology, then International Area Studies, but later changed it to History-- which is a good thing, because IAS students can be a bit-- intense. The worst you can get with a History student is sobbing over dead people. She received her Bachelor's degree in 2010, and plans to go on for a Master's in Museum Studies. She likes to study War (mostly WWI & WWII, but she also really likes Korea and Vietnam, but we don't talk about those because then it just involves clutching copies of Tim O'Brien books and tears).

Crying like so.
 She also loves musicals (mostly older musicals. She really likes Top Hat, go watch it. Pretty much any film that falls under 'Old Hollywood' though is her favorite). I'm constantly in competition with Ginger Rogers.
THIS IS WHAT I HAVE TO COMPETE WITH?!
Other interests include: saying "OH MY GOD KATIE HOW DID YOU HURT YOURSELF DOING THAT?", winning every single game of Risk, writing with me, being a complete hopeless romantic, and there are other things that probably aren't as integral to you knowing/understanding her personality.

I, Katie, grew up until the age of 9 in a small town not unlike Andy's. At 9, my mom and step-dad moved to Oklahoma. There's nothing really exciting about my home town. But I did grow up for the first few years of my life in a primarily Jewish community with my family. After moving to Oklahoma there were surprisingly fewer Jews (I didn't think there could be less than a few families worth).

This would've helped with my upbringing.
Unlike Andy, I came to school and knew exactly what I wanted to study-- English Education. What could be more perfect than talking to children all day about books and things? I can't think of anything. I'm currently in my forth year of education. I've completed 2 of 3 student observation periods and in exactly a year-- I will be interning at a middle or high school.
It'll be nowhere near this idylic.
That's more likely.
 I have also completed a minor in Russian Language, Literature and Culture. My interests include: Old English works of poetry (i.e. Beowulf), teaching, T.S. Eliot, Holocaust and Jewish Studies in Literature. I also love musicals, but I'm more of a modern musical gal. With love of things like Chicago, Victor/Victoria and Fiddler on the Roof. After finishing my Bachelor's (Fall 2014), I may or may not go on to receive a Master's.

Andy and I met in her senior year and my sophomore year. We hit it right off. Lot's of fun was had. And now we date and live together. And that's our story.

3 comments:

  1. IAS majors may be intense but at least we put on a good show/run from the popo sometimes.

    Remember when Andy wouldn't let me leave your house to go to the occupy okc eviction [that didn't actually happen]? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the unrealistic stock photo of the classroom.

    ReplyDelete