Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Mug Collector (or some people don't even have the people skills to be a crazy cat lady)

After this post, Andy may take away my unsupervised blogging privilege. But I just got a new mug in the mail today and had to share with the world.

For those of you who don't know, I collect mugs. I like tea, but I'm too clumsy to collect teacups, which are much more delicate than mugs. Here's my proud mama post about my mug collection.


I currently own 12 mugs. I know what you're thinking. "This picture is too small, I can't see the true glory of your mugs." I agree, which is why I'm going to do a mug-by-mug post. Starting with:




This was my first mug, given to me by my mom. My mom's birthday is in March and she's had this mug for a long time. When I came to college four years ago, she gave it to me to remind me of home. And thus the collection started.

Captain, it seems illogical that we should end up on the
mug of a such an capricious human. 
This mug was bought for me by my Andy's mom for my birthday (before she knew we were dating). It's a lovely Star Trek mug-- something I love dearly. I love Star Trek TOS (the original series), and you will probably see a lot of not very veiled references to them. Do you wanna buy this mug? I know you do.


This mug is technically Andy's. She got it on family vacation in Colorado and I stole it for my then, very small collection. She loves Colorado and wants to retire there one day. (This was decided before she even knew my name I think).


This is also Andy's mug. I got it for her one day from Toyko (the Japanese novelty store, which is not-so-surprisingly very, very novel.) They don't sell it anymore, but guess who does. 

Not many people have noticed that Timon is a Jewish caricature.
This mug was given to me by my friend Rachel for a holiday that I think was Valentine's day. But to be honest I'm not sure. Correct me if I'm wrong Rachel. What's not to love about it. You can get one like it here.


Here's mine and Andy's matching cold day mugs. Mine's the one with the green (the girly one) and Andy's is the other. We usually drink snow-cocoa (Andy doesn't like real chocolate only white chocolate) out of them.  I honestly don't know where they came from or when we got them. 

Have you taken off the parking break?
Have you disengaged the external inertial dampener?

This is my other Star Trek mug. It has the a sketch of the NCC-1701 Federation Starship Enterprise. It is also quality. My best friend, Janelle, got it for me for Christmas. And I love it. You can get the same one too.



This mug was gotten for me by Andy for Hanukkah. It's a Shakespearean insults mug and it is also my prized possession. It gave me new terrible things to call people. Some of them sound vaguely like Yiddish Curses. And I appreciate that. You can get this mug from the Unemployed Philosopher's Guild.

I honestly feel no envy for Rachel having gotten a cruise and
me only getting a mug. I think I prefer the mug. 
Rachel went on a cruise in the Bahamas recently and bought me this mug as a souvenir.


Rachel also got me this one for Christmas this year. I'm particularly fond of this one, perhaps it's because of the hypnotic interior. 


Last but not least is my brand new mug! I got this one from ModCloth. And I love it more than I can honestly say.

While I was finding the sites for these, I managed to find some more mugs. Since my birthday is soon. I decided to heavily hint about getting me these:


There's my beautiful collection. If you see any particularly amazing mugs. Let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Yes vday is right!!!! Love your mugs! (And also your face)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you would be interested, but Chaotic Goddess Swaps has an upcoming Mug o' Comfort Swap in April.

    http://cgswaps.blogspot.com/p/upcoming-cg-swaps.html

    ReplyDelete