Thursday, March 21, 2013

Ipsy "My Glam Bag" for March 2013

During the hoopla of the last few weeks, my Ipsy bag arrived. Rejoice! Respite! 

In case you don't know, Ipsy has a "Glam Bag" that you can get for $10 a month. It sends you 4-5 products and a cute makeup bag. It's a great deal, you usually get anywhere from $30 and up of merchandise. And it gives you a chance to try new products and for someone like me who needs to minimize makeup purchases-- this helps me feel like I'm working on my collection and improving it without really spending that much.

It comes in this adorable pink bag every month.

So colorful! Always a plus!
This month's theme was The Great Escape. And judging from the info cards, it's got a nautical theme, but before you weather the storm of my joy-- let's get the info cards out of the way.


Ipsy also offers discounts on the brands included in their bags each month. This month, as the card says, there is are discounts off of juicebeauty, La Fresh, yaby, and GLAM RX. 

Let's get this review on the road!

So first off we got juicebeauty's hydrating mist

Andy, my reluctant Vana White. Also, sorry about the dark pictures.

Apparently, it's organic. Apparently, it's supposed to tone and refresh your face. Apparently, it's supposed to provide "exhilarating refreshment". I believe that it's organic. I doubt the second one. And I know the third's a flat out lie. I heard a lot of people complaining about the scent. So I sprayed it on my face another time (the first was couple of days of spraying were to see if I felt any "exhilaration" or "refreshment" or "toning feelings", I've already addressed how that went).

It smells like roses. But like the kind of roses that creepy old ladies smell like. Creepy old ladies that do questionable things behind closed doors. (On a related note-- have any of you read "The Landlady?" by Roald Dahl. It's a short story, do it now.) I asked Andy how it smelled, and she said it smelled like her grandma-- oops. Sorry, Andy.

This mist of evil costs $22 dollars at juicebeauty's website for 6.75 oz. In the bag we got 1 oz. of death juice.  The math comes out to about 3 dollars.

Next we have La Fresh's travel-lite Makeup Remover Wipes.


Okay, I used these. And they were fine, honestly. We get 8 wipes in the packet, which costs $1.99 on La Fresh's website. This equals out to about 25 cents a wipe. Compared to my Neutrogena makeup wipes, which equal out to 20 cents a wipe-- it's not even worth getting upset about the price (which I was at first). My main issue, is that I don't feel these get my makeup off as well as my current wipes. And while it's all nice that it's a small little pack that I can use for travel, if I'm going somewhere, and I'm bothering to take my makeup collection-- adding the full packet of wipes won't hurt.

I was, however, amazed that La Fresh has appeared to make an entire company out of wipes. Feminine Hygiene wipes, Lotion wipes, Nail Polish remover wipes, face wipes. Wipes, wipes and more wipes. 

The next item Ipsy sent out were two individual eyeshadow refills from yaby cosmetics.



These were the two that I got. Sand Dune, a nice neutral color and So Vein, a vibrant blue. A lot of people have been ticked at getting the blue, because they can't use it. But also angry about getting the Sand Dune, because it's so boring. Well, I agree that the blue is hard to use, but under the right circumstances it can look good. It's like bright red lipstick. You can't just slap it on with every eye shadow (all though I try. Hard.) You have to tone down the rest of the face so that you don't look like a five-year-old that got into lipstick and ate it. They are valued at $3.15 a piece at yaby's site. 

Another complaint has been-- what on earth am I supposed to do with two loose cakes of eye shadow. Gurl, Ipsy has you and you don't even know it. And it all starts with the last item Ipsy sent out: the Glam RX  Touch Up Palette. 



And I know some of you are thinking, what I'm gonna stick them in there and let them slide around? 

Nope. 


It's magnetic. And the makeup comes in metal tins. It's pretty neat and costs roughly $16.50 at their website. It's a tough call though, because the mirror usually includes some stuff that can be removed with it. But I'm going to go ahead and make it an even $10 to account for that. 



Anyone who knows me, knows I love nautical themed things. I have an untold amount of dresses, bags, pins, necklaces. I love sailors and skippers and captains and sails. I love everything about it. And this bag, in case you haven't noticed, has anchors and comes in navy blue with white stripes. If I could scream in joy over the internet I would. This is by far the cutest bag I've gotten in my three months of Ipsy. 

Last time I valued the bag at 8 dollars, well I'm going to keep that price. This bag is roomier than the last one, so it can definitely carry more. 

All told this bag is totaled up to $29.29, which is good considering you payed 10 dollars for it. Overall though, I was a bit disappointed with some of the products (death juice), I was overall pleased and to be honest-- even without that awful product-- it would still pay for itself. 

If you want one-- head on over and get in line. When I signed up there wasn't a waiting list, but sometimes there is, but the only way to reserve your place is to jump in line.

No comments:

Post a Comment